My Breastfeeding Badges of Honor

Yippee skippy

3:58:00 PM Posted In , , Edit This 4 Comments »
(That was sarcasm by the way.)

So yesterday at Emmett John's appointment Dr. H asked me how the "bread and water diet" was coming. Which struck me as odd but got lost amongst everything else we talked about. So when I called and left our update this morning I asked the nurse if she could find out just how strict my milk and soy-free diet is supposed to be.

Prior to today I was only supposed to leave out the "main milk products" and all soy based. So I couldn't have:

milk
cream
ice cream
cheese
cottage cheese
cream cheese
sour cream (you get the idea)

Well, now I'm supposed to try my best to not have anything with any milk or soy products in it. At least until we get the whole positive blood/stool tests quandary figured out. Which brings us back to...

How to Read a Milk-Free DietAvoid foods with the following ingredients:
1. artificial butter flavor
2. butter, butter fat, butter oil
3. buttermilk
4. casein
5. caseinates (ammonium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium)
6. cheese
7. cream
8. cottage cheese
9. curds
10. custard
11. Ghee
12. Half and Half
13. hydrolysates (casein, milk protein, protein, whey, whey protein)
14. lacalbumin, lacalbumin-phosphate
15. lactoglobulin
16. lactose
17. lactulose
18. milk (any derivative – powder, protein, solids, malted, condensed, evaporated, dry, whole, low-fat, non-fat, skim, goat’s milk)
19. nougat
20. pudding
21. rennet casein
22. sour cream, sour cream solids
23. whey (including all forms, such as sweet, de-lactosed, protein concentrated)
24. yogurt
25. “D” on a label next to “K” or “U” indicated presence of milk protein

The following may contain milk proteins:
1. flavorings: caramel, barvarian cream, coconut cream, brown sugar, butter, natural
2. chocolate
3. luncheon meats, hot dogs, sausages
4. high protein flour
5. margarine
6. Simplesse®

4 Comments:

Nicole said...

um total big ol bummer. Had some other discriptive words when I read this earlier.. but I think Jr sucked 'em outta me! ;)

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for a while and it seems like you're just full of a bunch of complaints. I understand that you have it rough with your oldest son but my goodness, be positive. It's a learning experience. Grow from it. Love your son for who he is, not who you want him to be or who you think he should be. If you are that hooked on milk products, switch to formula. I had to do that and my baby was the most happy, full-bellied little kid I've ever seen. Try the Wal-Mart brand, I've found that it worked well and is the exact same thing as Similac.

Rob said...

While you are entitled to your opinion it does not reflect the reality of our blog. You say we complain too much and you have been reading our blog for awhile. If that were the case then you would know that we are venting and not really complaining. This blog is our only outlet. You are quite obviously high on life. Good for you. However, we are living through some very difficult times right now and we did not bring this on ourselves either.

You made a comment about how we shouldn't be trying to change Gavin and that we should love him for who he is. Again if you had read like you said you had then you would know that we have never tried to change Gavin. We love him for who he is and I find it offensive that you would suggest otherwise.

Also you made another comment about my wife being "so addicted" to milk. She actually has a milk sensitivity and so doesn't drink it. However, milk is in just about everything. Thank you for your heartfelt suggestion about wal-mart brand formula but Emmett also has a soy allergy (which again, if you had read you would know).
Thanks again for climbing up onto your soap box long enough to grace us with your pearls of wisdom. You have made our day just a little bit brighter.

In the future, please feel free to post your name so we can read your blog. Maybe we can learn how to be better people from your life and experiences.

After reading your post again I see where I made my mistake. You stated "I've been reading your blog for a while and it seems like you're just full of a bunch of complaints." I assumed you meant you have been going through our archive posts and reading about what has happened to my family. When clearily you were refering to the amount of time it has taken you to read the single post that you responded to. In this case I take back what have said.

I wanted show you just how bad I feel about what I said by offering you some of the same unsolicited advice you so generously offered us. Iliteracy is nothing to be ashamed of. Might I suggest you try your local Wal-Mart and seek out the generic form of "Hooked on Phonics". I hear it has helped millions of people to over come their "reading problems". However, its effectiveness on ignorance is still being evaluated at this time.

Good Luck

Lola said...

I love how people feel they are entitled to post their opinion, but yet are too scared to actually put a NAME with their comment.

Rob ~ nothing can help ignorance.

Ah...true love...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers

***My Baby Boys***

Lilypie Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

You are *here* too!